Friday 16 December 2016

Pantones Colour of the Year 2017 Greenery...

It's official! Pantone has announced the official colour of the year 2017 and it is called Greenery...


First impressions? ... Hospital waiting room... where they are trying to create a space that is both calming and clean yet upbeat somehow. It is not a colour that I warm to. Don't get me wrong, I love nature, peas, apples, fresh grass, spring shoots, all that jazz, but I like the colour when it's actually in nature, not trying to mimic it. As a green paint, it looks a bit artificial.
But it's all about nature apparently, so in the selectively edited words of Pantone....'Greenery is a fresh and zesty yellow-green shade that evokes the first days of spring when nature’s greens revive, restore and renew....flourishing foliage and the lushness of the great outdoors ... take a deep breath, oxygenate and reinvigorate.'

Well that's nice, nicer than the colour is anyway. 

So can it work? I've done some digging around and found a few instances where I think the colour looks fab, so check out my Greenery gems...
It works beautifully here teamed up with the rough bricks and muted greys.

So what about something a bit more glam?
Here it is just a feature, not a whole wall or anything too invasive, just a nice colourful detail. Love it.

I also think it works well in darker rooms where you totally avoid the hospital waiting room vibe and go for something a bit more bohemian...

But if you are mad about the colour and want to paint a whole wall, then make sure your furniture and accessories have got some soul because this colour is a tricky beast...

The funny thing about this type of colour green is that the 'industry' tries to get us to love it about every 8 years or so...it never really happens... The shops fill up with oddly coloured items that receive a lukewarm reception, only to go on sale later in the year and then quietly withdraw into the stockrooms in shame...sitting there for 8 years until the industry has decided it is time to try it out again... No, I don't really think that happens, but I do know that weird greens come around every once in a  while and we all go...Um...No thanks...

I'd love to hear what you think about the colour! Love it or loathe it...


1 comment:

  1. well you have done a great job of making it look good, I can only see it working in a retro setting, very seventies with a bit of orange maybe, but its not sitting comfortably on my eyes for sure. Good blog post xx

    ReplyDelete